Section Leader Job Description
Purpose: Assist the Artistic Director and other artistic staff in the pursuit community enrichment and artistic expression.
Desirable qualities. The Section Leader should:
- Be a skilled musician able to read music well (piano skills not required but useful), with a good understanding of vocal technique and healthy singing fundamentals.
- Be able to attend most rehearsals.
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills, and be able to sensitively manage giving feedback and correction to the members of your section.
- Work in conjunction with other Section Leaders.
- Represent WCCMA as a member of its artistic staff
- Support the artistic director and other artistic staff in creation and growth of a quality choral program
Suggested duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide musical leadership for your section section, including answering technical music questions as well as general questions, and referring to the artistic director when needed.
- Organize and lead sectional rehearsals as needed, in consultation with the artistic director.
- Communicate with and advise Artistic Director and other artistic staff about the needs of the section and any ideas that may enhance the musical experience of the group and audience.
- Be willing to take initiative in the absence of the Artistic Director (e.g. lead a warm-up).
- As the program grows, you may be asked to conduct outreach or other performances as requested (negotiable according to your availability and/or abilities). This may include performance or demonstration by the 4 section leaders.
- Attend meetings pertinent to artistic issues as needed
- Provide coaching for soloists or other individuals
- Provide sight-reading assistance
- Strive for personal artistic growth
The West Claremont Center for Music and the Art’s Holiday Choir program began in 2017 as a pick-up and low-rehearsal choir to encourage community singing in the Claremont, southern Upper Valley NH/VT region. Repertoire consists of secular and sacred music of the season, and is lead by WCCMA’s Executive and Artistic Director Melissa Richmond. This year we would like to transition to a student and community program with 4 professional section leaders so that students and community singers may learn from professional singers in their voice types for a rewarding musical and educational experience. Members of the choir will be auditioned with the expectation that anyone interested in musical growth and enrichment will be welcomed. This program may expand and will be significantly shaped based with the input of the Section Leaders.
Dates for the 2019 Season includes:
- November 29th, 5:45pm, Community Caroling with pick up choir at Park Lighting, in collaboration with Claremont Parks and Recreation
- Thursday December 19th, 6:30pm Sing a Joyful Christmas Sing Along event, in collaboration with New England Classical Academy
- December 24th, 7pm Christmas Eve Community Service, in collaboration with Union Church
- Sunday, December 29th, 10am Service of Lessons and Carols in collaboration with Union Church
All currently planned performances to be held in Claremont, NH.
Rehearsals: 5-7 in November/December, day of the week TBD
Compensation (independent contractor): Payment per performance/rehearsal to be negotiated. We estimate it to be approximately $800-1000 cumulatively per leader for this program
Please email cover letter and CV/resume to email@example.com. Positions to be filled immediately, and are open until filled. We would suggest applications to be received by November 11th to get maximum consideration.